Become the master of the mind by grasping the meditation techniques and understanding the mantra behind it.
“I tried to practice meditation but it didn’t work”
“My mind is flooded with numerous thoughts”
“I think I won’t be able to do it”
These are some of the feelings of the meditation beginners. Several meditation enthusiasts complain that the very moment they sit for meditation with closed eyes, all that it comes to their mind is the looming deadlines, relationship problems, and SLEEP. Quoting Sivananda “Meditation is painful in the beginning but it bestows immortal Bliss and supreme joy in the end.” Well, disturbances are natural to happen but a pleasurable experience awaits you when meditation is performed with dedication and self-discipline.
Firstly, learn to meditate correctly and commit to it on a consistent basis for exponentially effective results. You can go for a Yoga Retreat in India for learning the traditional meditation techniques and giving the mind a break from the monotonous life. For beginners and avid readers interested in meditation, we have listed out the steps to master the meditation, three meditation techniques to practice and a simple mantra.
How to Master Meditation- The Steps:
- Focus on Breathing: Breath is integral to the meditation practices. When in meditation, focus on inhalations and exhalations and prepare yourself for advanced practices. Attention to the breath has a calm and restful connotation attached to it.
- Breathing Meditation: It is one of the simplest and highly-effective brain calming techniques. Find a peaceful corner for yourself, roll out a yoga mat, and sit there comfortably, eyes closed. Breathe in and out deeply. Make sure the exhalations are longer than inhalations. Attempt breathing in a natural method and let its power drive you to a place of tranquility. Guide your consciousness towards your breath each time the mind wanders. A yoga retreat in Rishikesh is ideal for those desiring to learn the types of meditation and for resting the mind and body in complete Yogic state.
- Mind the Thoughts: Yes, do not get tensed or try to transform the thoughts that cross your mind while in meditation. Simply take notice of it and re-focus on the breathing. Gradually, you shall reign a state of tranquility. Try to bring your attention to the third eye (the space between your eyebrows). It is the powerful center and focusing on it stills the whole being.
- Chant Mantra and Use Sacred Beads for Harmony: Chant sacred mantras while meditating for making the mind calm and centered. Choose a mantra that appeals you the most and repeat to yourself slowly for entering the mind in a meditative state. Enchant the mantras while counting the beads with each recitation for keeping the brain focused.
- Japa Meditation: Japa meditation is the practice of repeating a mantra over and over again to help the mind enter a meditative state. Sit in meditation with crossed legs, eyes closed, and hands on the lap. Do mantra Japa. If the mind wanders to unrelated thoughts then let it be. Keep humming the mantras and remain in the position for 10 minutes. Open the eyes and experience freshness. A Yoga retreat in India gives people an opportunity to practice the mantra meditation the right way.
Simple Mantra for Deepening the Meditation Practices:
The mantra is a sacred Sanskrit sound for enhancing the meditation practices and for attaining a higher state of awareness. Chanting mantras is said to harmonize the energies of the seven chakras located within the body. Giving you a simple mantra to incorporate into your practice. OM: This mantra is considered as the sound of the Universe. The reciting of the OM mantra creates a positive energy all the way from the pelvis to the crown of the head. The mantra unblocks the throat chakra for more attuned communications with others.
Benefits of OM Mantra :
- Chant OM Mantra for positive vibrations and peaceful aura
- The universal hymn of OM enhances the concentration power
- Repeating OM sound in meditation takes the practitioner into a deep relaxation state.
- The vibrations of the OM mantra benefits the person as well as all those around. It purifies the environment.
- Including the OM Mantra in Japa and Mantra meditation gives the individual the power to control their emotions in a better way and to think rationally.
Do not let the troubles shake your will of attaining a peaceful mind. Stick to these techniques and master the science of meditation for the well-being of your body, mind, and soul.
Author Bio- Manmohan Singh is a passionate Yogi, Yoga Teacher and a Traveler in India. He provides yoga teacher training in Nepal, Kerala and India. He loves writing and reading the books related to yoga, health, nature and the Himalayas. His strong connection with Yoga and the Himalayas has made him organize yoga, meditation and Ayurveda tours, and retreats in the Himalayas.